Thursday, March 25, 2004

Hello all!!
...Well first I will cover the news. First I would like to congratulate my sister and bro-in-law, they are the proud new owners of there first home, You go with your super bad domestic selves... The past couple of days my super coool Mom has been visiting, our humble dwelling in J-ville. She is back at home now on the west coast. Thanks for coming Mom we had a great time. Stop on anytime ...The welcome matt gets lonely. In other news of the 656 apt., Joe is sick with a nasty sinus infection. He will be better soon between the homemade chicken soup and the antibiotics. My little sis karen is plum tuckered out from all her busy weekends as she goes hither and yon. She said she is happy to be at home this weekend where she can finally get some R and R. As far as my lovely hubby he is staying at a friends to puppy site for a very energetic black lab.As far as my self I had been hanging out with my Ma-maah. And enjoying having to days off from work. Well that's the news and I am sticking to it.

On the food front. Recently had a question from my Mom-in-Law about a reference to what vegan wine is. Since I was writing meatless recipes without thinking, I'm used to dealing with some people that cannot or do not use any animal products, or by products. It just shot right out of my hands without thinking. But to answer that question...Here it goes. Organic, Vegetarian and Vegan Wines
Aware to the needs of the vegetarian and vegan followers, many of the organic producers ensure that their wines are suitable produced to standards acceptable to this growing section of our community.

For many years the only thing used to clarify wines after fermentation came from cows, fish and chicken, however as demand for vegetarian friendly wines grows, new techniques are being used.

Egg whites and Casein are used in many vegetarian suitable wines, following their strict requirement that no animal be harmed in the production of the foods and drinks they consume.

For our vegan community, wines are either filtered but left unfinished or clarified with products such as bentonite. This is a very fine powder that attaches itself to the impurities in the wine and drops them to the bottom of the tank, allowing the wine to be racked off, leaving the sediment residue behind.

So I hope this was an interesting piece of info. So many people do not realize the extent of how far vegetarian's goes. There are some many types, and belief systems that exist that working in the food industry is much more difficult, or I like to say challenging. There are so many things that today's chef have to keep up with, to say on top of it in this diet crazy world.

Things that make me go hmmmm.

No comments: