Thursday, March 16, 2006

So they say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach… and I think the way to a woman’s is… chocolate!!!!

I’ll get back to that in a moment. So what have the K- C’s been up to? Well I was off from work today and had dinner with The Nichols. Karen made yummy grilled lemon pepper chicken breasts, fresh green beans, and baked potatoes. I must say she is quite the cook, she takes after her Mom and I’m sure she learned a few things from me. After work and choir Greg brought over some dessert. He’s been doing quite a bit of the baking at work, since his baker has been ill. We had devils food cake with cream cheese butter cream. And boy did it hit the spot… all of us were quite satisfied with Greg’s choice. Fun was had be all!!!

Something I should mention:

Spices have been used for 1000’s of years throughout Asia, Arabia, and the Mediterranean regions. Once they were valued more highly than gold. So don’t be afraid to spice things up, no pun intended of course. It’s a easy way to add flavor with out as much salt. In fact you can make jars of you favorite spice blends so when your ready to cook it’s ready. I know what you saying now “ what should I put in my spice mix?” or “where do I begin?” . No problem I can help!!!

DRY RUB SPICE MARINADE FOR BARBECUED
MEATS (beef, pork or leave out hte sugar and do chicken)
1/3 c. Kosher salt
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Combine all ingredients, blending thoroughly. If reserving for later use, store in tightly capped jar. To use, sprinkle heavily on all sides of meat and rub in well with fingers. Let meat stand for 2 hours or lightly covered in refrigerator overnight. I like to drizzle with a little olive oil. Then throw it on the grill. Note of caution do not grill on a super high heat because the sugar will burn.

It a quick and easy recipe, so don't be shy....

No comments: